It’s true — non invasive lipo alternatives actually exist, and they mean you don’t have to go under the knife to get your perfect look. Hallelujah! After I found out there were approximately 1 deaths in 33,000 surgeries, liposuction alternatives peaked my interest. There were just too many horror stories, like Maria Shotall, a housekeeper from Weston, Florida who died from “routine” surgery. The list of complications listed on FDA’s website is also extremely … concerning. I can’t tell you why so many people still opt in for the surgery, that’s a sociological question a graduate student is going to have to answer. I will be staying tuned!
So, what are options for liposuction alternatives? Surprisingly, there are a bunch (lipoadvisor.com lists 28 alternatives!), and they all mean no knife.
Aside from fear of death, other reasons people choose treatments that are NOT liposuction include cost of the treatment, recovery time, and the preference of a slower change (so no one thinks you had a treatment to help you lose fat bulges).
The top 5 non invasive lipo alternatives include:
- CoolSculpting. CoolSculpting contours the body using fat freezing methodology. Have a troubled area, like your thighs or abdomen? This treatment can target that specific bulge and freeze the fat cells in the area. Over time, the fat cells exit the body, and you no longer have the bulge! Treatment times vary from 35 minutes to an hour. Most patients see results after 2 cycles. Celebrities like Molly Sims, Khloe Kardashian, and Mariah Carey have all attributed getting great bodies from this treatment.
- Zerona. Zerona uses laser technology to minimize fat in specific areas. Treatment takes 40 minutes and needs to be administered 3 times a week for 2 weeks for the best results (this is the annoying part). There are no side effects!
- Liposonix. Liposonix uses ultrasound technology to specifically target areas of fat and not damage surrounding tissue. The body naturally processes and permanently removes the destroyed fat over a period of 8-12 weeks. A single treatment typically reduces waist circumference by approximately 1 inch.
- Ultrashape. Ultrashape uses ultrasound technology to shake the fat cells until the membranes collapse. In several small studies, subjects who did 3 treatments typically lost between 1 and 2 inches from their stomachs after 6 weeks (which is faster than some of the other treatments).
- Vanquish. Vanquish uses radio frequency technology to bust your fat cells. To receive the treatment, a patient has 4 sessions that last 30 minutes. Kind of like Zerona, this can be a little time consuming. But hey, beats a knife!
So which of these non invasive lipo alternatives is the best? I took a look at the number of mentions on Twitter (over the past 30 days) and the average search volume in Google (over the past year) to dive into this. The clear winner from the data? CoolSculpting. Second best? Ultrashape.
Yes, some people report pain (and all of our pain tolerances are different), but, this sort of pain has to beat death.